How to find the best startup valuation method
The value of your company depends on a number of parameters. For example: The reason why the valuation is done and the expectation of the person or company who associates a value to your startup. Additionally you also need to consider supply and demand, the typical market forces that define the price of your startup.
When you are talking to investors you need a basic idea of the valuation of your startup. Depending on your specific circumstances, one or the other valuation method tool is more suitable for your case. There is no perfect solution for choosing the best method to calculate the value of your startup, but there is a best-practice process: Use multiple methods and calculate a valuation range.
Common valuation methods
- Risk Factor Summation Valuation Method (RFS)
- Scorecard Valuation Method
- Venture Capital Valuation Method
- Discounted Cash-Flow Valuation Method
- First Chicago Valuation Method
Using multiple startup valuation methods during preparation will also help you in the negotiation process because it will give you a more robust understanding of the valuation process and the underlying assumptions you make.
Startup Valuation Calculators
On our platform we provide a set of tools that implement the different methods. The tools allow you to calculate a valuation range for your startup.
You can learn more about the different methods in the Guide section Company Valuation and Cash Need on the key2investors platform where we cover these key points:
- Understand how different valuation methods work
- Being able to select the right evaluation method
- Researching benchmark data for valuation
- Understanding results and doing sanity checks
Calculate a valuation for your startup
Learn about the different valuation techniques in a virtual:lab or read up on it in the Guide section of the platform. Confidently use the valuation tools to calculate a plausible valuation range for your startup:
- Scorecard Valuation tool
- Risk Factor Summation Valuation tool + virtual:lab
- Venture Capital Method Valuation tool + virtual:lab
What our users think of key2investors
Petra helped us in structuring the key message and all relating documents for finding venture capital for a newly founded start-up in the field of green chemicals. Petra also provided us contacts and venture opportunities for our mission. We totally appreciated Petras very experienced, well skilled but still hands-on way of working with us. Petra is perfectly capable of sensing what her customers really need. We really learnt a lot! Thank you Petra.
Petra Wolkenstein has supported and consulted us in several phases in a very professional way. Working together has been excellent when looking for new investors. She matched us with qualitatively valuable and very suitable investors. Her cross-border investor network is truly extensive. Many thanks for your excellent and proactive support!
Selling a company is a complex process. When I was looking for a buyer to exit my company, the experience of the consulting team helped a lot. In the end, the professional teaser documentation and the invaluable negotiation support were decisive for the sale.
Start getting investor-ready
On key2investors.com you’ll find everything in one place. No need to read yet another startup blog about getting an investor!
- Benefit from our structured guide based on a proven process
- Use startup valuation tools and our investor database
- Create your investment teaser based on our template and guide.
- Learn with virtual:lab videos
- Book live Q&A sessions to get answers to all your questions